What is USG?
The University of Iowa's Undergraduate Student Government (USG) is looking for hard-working, committed undergraduate student leaders to apply for First-Year and At-Large Senator positions. Students will be selected through an application and interview process to represent over 20,000 undergraduate students at the University of Iowa.
What Does it Mean to be a Senator in USG?
Senators represent their constituents (the undergraduate student population) at weekly Senate sessions held on Tuesdays at 7:00 pm. Senators work initiatives to improve campus, voice concerns of their fellow students, and vote on the allocations of the Student Activity Fee (approximately $1.8 million). USG has created or funded numerous large-scale initiatives at the University of Iowa. Some notable examples include CAMBUS, the Airport Shuttle, IMU rentals, Being Not Rich @ Iowa guide, and the First-Generation Summit.
Why Join USG?
As a member of USG, Senators have the opportunity to work with students, faculty, staff, and outside organizations to better the student experience at Iowa. Senators learn to communicate in a professional manner, coordinate efforts between multiple groups, and advocate for changes on behalf of constituents. USG is a great way to get to know the leaders at the university and to become a leader as well.
Are you interested in being a part of the Undergraduate Student Government? We are currently looking for students to apply to become USG Senators.
Who is Eligible and Who Should Apply?
Any undergraduate student in good academic standing is eligible to apply for a Senate seat. Candidates must also be in good non-academic standing with the Office of the Dean of Students.
If you have any interest in serving undergraduate students through student government, give the application process a shot! There is no experience in student government needed!
Where is More Information Available?
- USG Open House
- Tuesday, January 25th from 6-7 p.m.
- USG Office, IMU 260B
- Casual Senate Open House
- Tuesday, January 25th from 7-10 p.m.
- Open invite to Senate Meeting
- IMU Blackbox Theater
- Breakfast with USG
- Thursday, January 27th from 9-11 a.m.
- Student Leadership Room 351 IMU
- Pomerantz Career Center Resume Workshop
- Drop-in hours every Monday-Friday from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
When Does this Process Take Place?
- Applications open: December 18th
- Applications close: January 30th at 5:00 p.m.
- Interviews: February 2-3
- Release of nominations: February 5th (3 options below)
- Not offered a spot at this time
- Offered spot on the alternate list
- Offered spot as Senator
- New senators’ first meeting: February 8th
How to Apply
- Complete the application and submit your resume linked here on USG’s Engage site.
- Make sure you are logged into the Engage Website
- **Both the application and the resume must be submitted by January 30th at 5:00 p.m. to be considered for a position. No exceptions will be made.
The Internal Affairs Committee of USG will review and score applications and resumes without knowing who the applicant is. This is in an effort to have fair evaluations of applicants. More weight is given to the application portion of the score than resumes in efforts to encourage applicants with good ideas to apply with less emphasis on their past experience. Applicants with the highest scores at the end of the review process will be invited to interview with the Internal Affairs Committee. All applicants will receive notification, regardless of if they move on in the process or not.
Please reach out to the chair of the Internal Affairs Committee, Benton Renaud (email@example.com).