About Senate & Applications
What is USG?
The University of Iowa's Undergraduate Student Government (USG) is looking for hard-working, committed undergraduate student leaders to apply for First-Year and At-Large Senator positions. Students will be selected through an application and interview process to represent over 20,000 undergraduate students at the University of Iowa.
Senators represent their constituents (the undergraduate student population) at weekly Senate sessions held on Tuesdays at 7:00 pm. Senators work initiatives to improve campus, voice concerns of their fellow students, and vote on the allocations of the Student Activity Fee (approximately $1.8 million). USG has created or funded numerous large-scale initiatives at the University of Iowa. Some notable examples include CAMBUS, the Airport Shuttle, IMU rentals, Being Not Rich @ Iowa guide, and the First-Generation Summit. For more information on the responsibilities of Senators and the function of USG on campus, click here.
Who is Eligible and Who Should Apply?
Any undergraduate student in good academic standing is eligible to apply for a Senate seat. Candidates must also be in good non-academic standing with the Office of the Dean of Students.
There are currently 25 at-large Senate seats available. 5 of the seats available are reserved for first-year students.
If you have any interest in serving undergraduate students through student government, give the application process a shot! There is no experience in student government needed!
Why Join USG?
As a member of USG, Senators have the opportunity to work with students, faculty, staff, and outside organizations to better the student experience at Iowa. Senators learn to communicate in a professional manner, coordinate efforts between multiple groups, and advocate for changes on behalf of constituents. USG is a great way to get to know the leaders at the university and to become a leader as well.
- Where is More Information Available?The Internal Affairs Committee planned several informational events for those interested in learning more about USG to be held throughout the weeks of August 24th-September 12th. These events include opportunities to meet current USG members and ask questions, as well as a resume workshop with the Pomerantz Career Center.
August 22nd, 1:30-3:00: On Iowa Zoom Info Session
August 27th, 2:00-3:00: Resume workshop with PCC
September 4th, 4:00-5:00: Resume workshop with PCC
September 7th, 11:00-12:00: Zoom Info Session
September 11th, 1:00-2:00: Zoom Info Session
When Does this Process Take Place?
- Applications close: September 13th at 5pm
- Internal Affairs Committee reviews and scores applications: September 14th- 19th
- Invite to interviews released: September 20th by 11:59pm
- Interviews: September 25th-27th
- Release of nominations: September 27th
- New senators’ first meeting: September 29th
How to Apply
NOTE: The application for USG Senators is not currently accepting submissions for the 2020-2021 term. It will be accessible beginning August 24thusing the link below.
1. Complete the application and submit your resume linked here on USG’s Engage site.
2. **Both the application and the resume must be submitted by September 13th at 5pm to be considered for a position. No exceptions will be made.
The Internal Affairs Committee of USG will review and score applications and resumes without knowing who the applicant is. This is in efforts to have fair evaluations of applicants. More weight is given to the application portion of the score than resumes in efforts to encourage applicants with good ideas to apply with less emphasis on their past experience. Applicants with the highest scores at the end of the review process will be invited to interview with the Internal Affairs Committee. All applicants will receive notification, regardless of if they move on in the process or not.
Reference the graphic for more information.