The Executive branch consists of students who tackle major campus issues in pursuit of bettering the lives of University of Iowa students. After the spring election, the President, Vice President, and the top three vote-getters hold interviews to fill Executive positions. Once filled, the new Executives begin their duties, working a full calendar year from May to May. Throughout the year, the Executive branch and Legislative branch work together to accomplish the various initiatives agreed upon by USG. Members of the Executive Branch are charged with the duty of developing, implementing, and managing USG initiatives. Members of the Executive Branch also commonly serve as liaisons to University of Iowa administration. Below are a list of Executive Branch positions:
- Vice President
- Cabinet Director
- Director of Operations
- Director of Finance
- Deputy Director of Finance
- Director of Communications
- Deputy Director of Communications
- City Council Liaison
- Deputy City Council Liaison
- Director of Justice and Equity
- Director of Government Relations
- Deputy Director of Governmental Relations
- Director of Student Services
- Director of Academic Affairs
- Director of Sustainability
- Director of Health and Safety
- Director of External Relations
- Communications Team (led by the Director of Communications)
- Graphic Designer (2)
- Social Media Director
- Media Relations Manager
The USG Legislative Branch is comprised of the Student Senate, which is charged with the duties of allocating funds and drafting legislation in the form of bills and resolutions. The Student Senate consists of 50 senators who each serve on two committees.
- This committee is charged with identifying the needs of students as they relate to academics. This includes but is not limited to scholarships, classroom procedures, relationships among administration and students, class offerings, research opportunities, and test preparation. This committee often works closely with the General Education Curriculum Committee and the Undergraduate Educational Policy and Curriculum Committee – both within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences – and with the Office of the Provost.
- The External Affairs Committee works to engage the University of Iowa and Iowa City communities in projects that benefit both groups while spreading awareness of USG and student activities. The committee hosts events to engage students and let them know what’s happening on campus. This committee also creates volunteer events that all senators can participate in.
Justice and Equity
- The Justice and Equity Committee works to create a campus environment that is welcoming and inclusive to all University of Iowa students. This committee works to magnify the voices of underrepresented and historically marginalized populations by listening to student concerns, building partnerships across campus, and creating initiatives and campaigns that improve the campus climate surrounding matters of justice and equity.
- The Governmental Relations Committee works to advocate for student interests in the local, state, and federal governments as well as encourage participation in governmental elections. Members of this committee register students to vote in Johnson County, organize events such as debate watch parties, and partner with Hawkeye Caucus to meet with state legislators in Des Moines.
- The Internal Affairs committee assists in the management of the Student Senate. One of the primary responsibilities includes soliciting and reviewing applications for membership in USG and Presidential Charter Committees as well as conducting interviews for those positions. Other responsibilities include but are not limited to: coordinating appeal’s processes when members of USG are removed from office and reviewing and updating our bylaws and constitution. This committee often works with the Speaker of the Senate, the Secretary, and the Student Judicial Branch.
Health & Safety
- The Health & Safety Committee works to provide students with resources, programming, and information relating to health and safety concerns at the University of Iowa. This committee often works with the City of Iowa City to complete initiatives dealing with safe transportation, living environments, and experiences downtown. This committee also frequently works with various offices on campus and around Iowa City that handle issues of health and safety – University Counseling Services, Rape Victim and Advocacy Program, Women’s Resource and Action Center, residence hall staff, and others.
- The committee’s main responsibility is managing funds provided by the Student Activities Fee. SABAC directly oversees allocations to commonly registered student organizations and jointly approves with GPAC budgeting proposals from Collaboratively Funded Organizations (CFOs). Aside from annual allocations, the committee reviews any funding request to Senate above $1,500 and works with CFO of USG to manage the Contingency Account.
- The Student Life Committee works to foster an enriched student life by developing initiatives designed to address student interests, needs, or concerns. This committee works on a wide range of issues from providing access common resources (umbrellas and chargers) to advocating for, and trying to secure, affordable food and housing for all students. This committee works on anything aimed at improving the day-to-day experience of the undergraduate student body.
- This committee is responsible for coordinating the sustainability projects and general environmental awareness efforts at the University of Iowa. The Green Initiatives Fund is allocated by this committee to fund sustainability-oriented events and projects.
The Judicial Branch interprets the USG Constitution and USG Bylaws when disputes arise, rules on the constitutionality of USG's actions, and hears complaints submitted by the Student Elections Board and the Student Parking Appeals Review Committee.
USG Constitution (Update 2020)
Constitution University of Iowa Student Government Updated: July 19, 2020 Preamble Article I.Learn More
USG Bylaws (Update 2020)
Legislative and Executive Bylaws University of Iowa Undergraduate Student Government Updated: July 19th, 2020 Definitions Acronyms Article I.Learn More
USG Executive Code of Conduct
Executive Code of Conduct Agreement THIS AGREEMENT made and entered into upon submission of this form, between the University of Iowa Undergraduate Student Government President and the position indicated above, held by the undersigned, outlines the expectations and responsibilities which justify payment and employment.Learn More
USG Senator Code of Conduct
Senator Code of Conduct Updated July 19, 2020 I, Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senator _______________________, will uphold the values of accountability and honor while displaying commitment, inclusiveness, leadership, and responsiveness at all times while serving as a Senator in order to remain in good standing with USG.Learn More