Senator Code of Conduct
Updated February 10th, 2023
- Attendance: Have no more than two unexcused absences from Senate. Excused absences follow University of Iowa CLAS attendance policy. If you are unable to attend a meeting, it is your responsibility to notify the Speaker of the Senate and Speaker Pro Tempore no less than 24 hours in advance.
- Dress policy: Comply with the requirements of the business casual dress code at all General Senate meetings.
- Office Hours: Complete one office hour per week.
- External events: Complete one external event per semester.
- Tardiness: Have no more than two unexcused tardies. Tardiness will be defined as more than fifteen minutes late to a meeting.Two unexcused tardies will be equivalent to one unexcused absence. Accumulating two or more unexcused absences automatically subjects your position to review for dismissal by the Speaker of the Senate, Speaker Pro Tempore, and Internal Affairs Committee.
- Academic Standing and Conduct: Throughout the duration of office and during the time of election, senators shall maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
- Non-Academic Standing and Conduct: Throughout the duration of office and at the time of election, senators shall remain in good non-academic standing, as determined by the Office of the Dean of Students, the USG Executive and Senate leadership, and the USG Advisor.
- Failure to meet these conditions/expectations shall result in removal from the Senate (or election ballot, should that be the case).
- I understand that I am a representative of the undergraduate student body of the University of Iowa. When addressing Undergraduate Student Government matters, I will speak to both my fellow USG representatives and constituents in a respectful manner, despite personal disputes or differing opinions.
- Be professional and prompt with email communication. I understand that I must respond to electronic communication within 48 hours (including, but not limited to emails, texts, calls, etc.)
- Complete assigned tasks and duties relative to my position to the best of my abilities. Adhere to committee expectations as described by my committee chairs.
Exceptions or modifications to the above criteria may be granted to accommodate mental health conditions, medical conditions, and/or disabilities. Please contact the Speaker of the Senate at the start of the semester or as soon as possible to discuss accommodations.
I, _____ (initials) have fully read and understand the Senator Code of Conduct and agree to comply with each aforementioned condition and expectation. If one or more of these conditions or expectations is not met, I recognize that I have fallen out of good standing as a Senator, thus warrant disciplinary action overseen by the Speaker of Senate and Internal Affairs Committee Chair in accordance with the USG Constitution and Bylaws.
Appeal Process: A Senator may appeal the decision of the Speaker of the Senate or the Internal Affairs Committee Chair to the Internal Affairs Committee. A Senator may appeal the decision of the Internal Affairs Committee to the Student Judicial Court within one week of a formal notice of said punishment. Student Judicial Bylaws apply.